“Exercise is king and nutrition is queen” said the famous Jack Lalane.
Even if you’re in your golden years, you can still do simple cardio exercises to improve your health.
The best way to do that is to use a recumbent bike for seniors.
For example, we loved the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike simply because it’s jam-packed with useful features.
It has Bluetooth technology, so you can connect your gadgets and stream music or export workout data. It also comes with 25 resistance levels, so you can challenge yourself properly.
This model is also highly adjustable – you can move the seat forward or backward as well as incline it at a certain angle. The side handles allow you to rest your hands while you pedal and the sensors mounted on the handles will monitor your heart rate.
Lastly, this bike has been designed to sustain up to 300 pounds of weight, so it is suitable for almost everyone. You can use this bike every day and enjoy the numerous benefits it provides such as losing weight, improving cardiovascular fitness and prolonging your life!
How to buy a recumbent bike
We know you’re eager to get your first recumbent bike, but take a moment to find the right product for you.
There are numerous recumbent bikes for seniors out there. Here are a few aspects to keep in mind to make a great decision when buying.
Adjustable seat/rail system
The beauty of a recumbent bike is that you can adjust it according to your height and personal preference.
Each bike comes with a comfortable seat you can easily adjust. You can incline the seat, lower it or lift it higher to accommodate your height.
The seat is placed on a rail system which slides forward and backward. If you have long legs, you might want to move the seat back a few inches for a more comfortable pedaling experience.
These adjustments can be easily made by operating a handle or lever. The instructions manual provides ample information on how to do this, so check it often.
Resistance levels and programs
Choosing an appropriate resistance level can help you improve your cardiovascular fitness.
Most recumbent bikes come with 10, 20 or even 25 resistance levels for you to choose from.
If you’re a beginner, choose a lower level until you learn the ropes. Once you have improved your leg strength, you can progress to a higher resistance level.
Today’s recumbent bikes also come with special programs you can follow. For example, some of these programs will have you pedaling quickly for short periods of time.
This will raise up your heart rate and speed up your metabolism which helps burn more fat.
Yes, you’re going to sweat a little on a recumbent bike for seniors, but you’re going to love it afterward!
Each recumbent bike is equipped with a front-mounted display which shows important data.
For example, the display might show you how many calories you have burned, distance traveled, speed, heart rate, etc.
Some high-tech recumbent bikes allow you to see YouTube videos while you keep pedaling for minutes after minutes!
One of the biggest advantages of the LED display is that it can be adjusted. You can raise it up or lower it as well as incline the display to fit your needs.
Some bikes have color LED displays, others come with a monochrome panel. In either case, you’ll be able to track your progress, so check your display often while pedaling.
Heart rate monitor
Speaking of heart rate, your recumbent bike can show how quickly your heart beats in real time.
The recumbent bike usually has two handles, one on each side of the seat. These handles have sensors.
You grab these handles and keep your hands there for a few minutes. The sensors will detect your heart rate and display it in real time on the LCD display.
Why is it a good idea to measure your heart rate? Because it will help you stay in the safe zone.
As a good rule of thumb, people shouldn’t bring their heartbeat higher than 220 minus their age.
For example, if you’re a 60 years old senior, it is not recommended to bring your heart rate higher than 160 beats per minute (220 – 60).
The Benefits Of Using a Recumbent Bike
A recumbent bike is beneficial for people of all ages, particularly seniors.
Here are its key advantages:
- Exercise at home – you don’t need to go to the gym to exercise your body and stay in shape
- Improve your cardiovascular fitness – cardiovascular refers to your heart and lungs. Using a recumbent bike regularly can decrease the risk of developing heart diseases
- Lose weight – spending about 20 minutes on a recumbent bike several times a week increases your metabolism which burns more calories. In the long run, a recumbent bike is ideal for losing weight
- Eliminate toxins – since you’re going to pedal for a few minutes on a regular basis, you’re going to sweat and eliminate a lot of toxins. This helps you stay healthy and live a longer life
- Improve cognition – any time of exercise, particularly cardio exercises, improve the brain function. You’ll be able to think clearly, feel more confident and prevent neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease
Best of all, you can use the recumbent bike any time you want for the rest of your life!
The 270 model from Schwinn is currently one of the most popular recumbent bikes for seniors out there.
It comes with multiple features such as Bluetooth connectivity and 29 workout programs. This bike is also highly adjustable and easy to operate.
You can incline the seat backward or forwards, depending on your preference. The seat is designed to reduce the stress on your spine.
You can also move the entire seat closer to the pedals if you don’t have very long legs. What we like the most is the Bluetooth connectivity and the built-in fan which keeps you cool during hot summer days.
- 25 levels of resistance
- Comes with a fan to keep you cool while pedaling
- A large LCD display with oversized buttons
- Integrated speakers for playing your favorite tunes
- Heart rate monitor
- High inertia drive system which is silent and easy to use
- Ability to track goals using the Schwinn app
- A place for your iPad or tablet
- Easy to assemble, clear instructions provided in the manual
- Comes with transport wheels
- Rather heavy at almost 100 pounds, so move with care
- The handlebars might not be the most comfortable in the world
- Minor reliability problems for some units
Another excellent recumbent bike is the SB2.5 model from XTERRA.
This machine features a weight limit of 300 pounds and it comes with a 22 pounds flywheel which ensures a smooth motion while pedaling.
Most customers agree that this bike is also silent, so you can pedal even when your family members are sleeping.
The large 5-inch LCD display provides ample space for workout stats. You can cycle through the 24 preinstalled programs and use one of the 24 resistance levels, depending on your fitness level.
The handles next to the display are padded for additional comfort and they ensure a secure grip. The buttons are oversized and easy to use.
- Heart rate monitor
- Comes with an audio jack and MP3 player
- Dual speakers mounted in the console
- Adjustable seat based on your height and personal preference
- An LCD display with 2 colors for easy reading
- Comes with transport wheels, making it easier to move this bike from room to room
- Oversized pedals padded with a comfortable, non-slip material
- Easy to assemble, clear instructions provided
- Minor complaints regarding the quality of the seat
- Heavy at 105 pounds, move with care
- The heart rate might not be extremely accurate
If you’re looking for one of the most affordable recumbent bikes for seniors, this model from Marcy might be ideal for you.
This is a lightweight, easy to use and easy to transport recumbent bike. It’s great for beginners as well as experienced users.
You can cycle through 8 resistance levels and it supports a maximum weight of 242 pounds. This bike is battery-powered, so you don’t have to connect it to a power outlet.
You can actually install it in your backyard and exercise while getting a tan! The console features a small LCD screen which displays stats such as calories burned, distance, time, speed and more.
The flywheel and belt drive system is designed to provide a smooth and silent experience. The frame is made from steel, so it is almost impossible to damage this bike.
- 2 years warranty of frame and parts
- Comes with batteries included
- The seat has a 2-inch foam padding for maximum comfort
- Side handles to rest your hands while pedaling
- Comes with small wheels for easy transport
- Oversized display readings
- Easy to use tension knob to adjust the resistance
- Minor reliability problems
- Might get really hard to pedal at high resistance levels
- The seat might be wobbly if not adjusted properly
If you’re looking for another affordable and fun recumbent bike, this model from Exerpeutic might be suitable for you.
You can buy it with or without Bluetooth connectivity, depending on your preferences. The maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds and it comes with a one year warranty in the package.
We love that this bike is really easy to adjust according to your preferences. You can move the seat forward or backward as well changing its inclination.
The large LCD display shows distance traveled, calories burned, speed and other important stats. You can also choose your preferred training mode by pressing a single button.
- Heart rate monitor
- 8 resistance levels to choose from
- Large seat padded with foam material for extra comfort
- Comes with wheels for easy transport
- The magnetic system operates silently, so you won’t wake up your neighbors!
- Ideal for people with heights between 5’ 3” and 6’ 6”
- Large display with oversized digits
- Side handles to rest your arms
- Pedals with straps for increased stability
- Might get harder to pedal after a while; use lubricant for the drive system
- The pedal straps can get damaged easily
- Front handles are not the most comfortable ones out there
The last product in our list comes from Nautilus, a brand renowned for making high-quality indoor bikes.
This model features 29 workout programs and 25 resistance programs to choose from. It supports a maximum weight of 300 pounds and delivers a smooth and silent pedaling experience.
Another benefit is represented by the Bluetooth technology and the possibility to ride along with friends using the RideSocial App.
When it comes to display, you’ll get a generous screen that displays important data such as calories, speed, distance, heart rate, workout programs, goals, etc.
You even have a place where to put your tablet or iPad. If you like to listen to music while pedaling, this model comes with dual speakers mounted into the front console
- Multiple resistance levels and workout programs
- Adjustable seat made from comfortable and durable materials
- Large LCD display
- Comes with wheels for transport
- Ideal for beginners and experienced users
- A silent and smooth drive system
- Heart rate monitor
- Fan to keep you cool while pedaling
- Assembly might take a while
- Minor reliability issues
- Occupies a lot of space
Wrapping it up
As you can see, there are plenty of interesting models for you to choose from.
Set a budget today, pick your favorite recumbent bike for seniors and start pedaling away towards better health!